Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7

Winning Isn’t Everything?

Competing With Yourself - a worthwhile article to ponder.

"The needs and desires that inspire us to compete with ourselves, are entirely personal and thus far more complex."

I compete with myself - not with other runners. {For they are better/ younger/ and faster.}
When I'm ready, I look up my time on last year's race bib. I silently say, "I can do better than this!" or "I should be happy if I preserve this pace." Never good enough. I need a way to ease out of self-competition as it is a no win situation.
I can still run and that should be enough!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
- Steve Prefontaine
A few more wise words:
Ahh the competitive bit...maybe its something for the youth to enjoy...they are the seed bearers...for now i enjoy not being measured, not being expected of...and will quietly progress with joy...love and harmony...
- Wind Eater