Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26

Race Promotion

Finally, I heard, on a local radio station, our mayor talking about the Eugene Marathon. Maybe I just missed her earlier promotions of this event - but just incase, maybe she can speak up a little sooner next year.
Fortunately for Eugene - if this year's event is successful, I don't think we will need her endorsement.
The following clip is for Eugene's Mayor - Kitty Piercy.

"Large marathons like Boston, New York, Chicago and Honolulu can pull $100 million or more into a city's economy in a single weekend. The Los Angeles Marathon on March 4 sold out every hotel room in town. Even small marathons can create millions in business for local hotels and restaurants." - Ellen Creager
The race director - Richard Maher said last week there were 4,500 registered runners; 500 less than the declared cap. (You can still register for the 5K and kids run.) Despite this, some of the bigger Inns and Hotels in Eugene are full. "We're sold out and, to the best of my knowledge, everyone else is sold out," says George Rogers, general manager of the Valley River Inn.
BTW -- Last year I ran a race in Lake Oswego. (Not a marathon event.) The Mayor was at the finish line to hand out awards. I got to shake her hand and let her know how nice her town was and that I would be back next year!
-----