Search This Blog

Monday, June 11

Masters

The ABCs and running series: Today's topic - "Masters."
Who and why are we called masters runners? Apparently as runners age, they slow down. So to be fair, a Masters category was developed. Once you pass the 40 (35), you can start competing with other {older} runners. {And let me tell you, many of these runners are FAST.}
Most races nowadays have the usual 5 year divisions and include a Masters category in the top finalists. {Male and female.}

"If we did not slow as we aged, there would be no reason for a masters movement."
- Hal Higdon
Canadian Earl W. Fee suggests in his book How to Be a Champion from 9 to 90 that the secret of success in masters competition is to age more slowly than the other competitors in your age division. {Brilliant hypothesis}
I have not read his book {yet} but from my experience I would say one way to slow down the ageing process is to maintain a normal body weight for your height!
As I peruse the results of local runners in my age category, I take note of who is stepping up to the next class or who is leaving my age group. {Sort of silly, as you never know when someone new will appear.}
It's inevitable that I will catch up to them - unless of course, one of us go on the injured list or I die trying...

You know you're a Masters runner when:

A runner passing you looks 16 but is actually 30.
You put on glasses before you pin on your bib number.
Happy Hour is nap time. {Or supper time}
The next day -> everything hurts.

10 tips that might help you live longer.

Masters' Records
-----