Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12

Exotic Tree

Admittedly – I didn’t spend a lot of time running while I was in Hawaii. It was to warm for really long runs and time always seemed to be an issue - >Way too many things to do. Like:: snorkeling, swimming, beachcombing, lighthouse viewing, whale watching, sunrises, kayaking, bird watching, hiking, playing in waterfalls, cider cone climbing, sand sifting, Geocaching, Miller times and fine dinning...just to name a few.


--- Trees I Run By ---
Kauai Banyan Tree 2008
The Banyan Tree
ficus benghalensis

One of my runs took me through this grove of Banyan Trees. Jungle like the roots dangling overhead. [A little creepy.] The leaf looked like a magnolia tree so I was surprised to read it was related the fig.
"Banyans will generate roots from our branches that will extend down to the ground creating another tree without the need to produce flowers, fruit or seeds to generate offspring."
banyan leaf
Apparently Banyan trees did not originate in Hawaii – they were imported from places like India.
They were given as gifts to the Hawaiian Queens and Kings.
From looking at this leaf, I found nearby, I would say this was a fiscus_benghalensis or Indian Banyan.




Banyan Tree Trivia
The first banyan tree in the U.S. was planted by Thomas Alva Edison it was given to Edison by Harvey Firestone after Firestone visited India in 1925 and was planted in the Edison and Ford Winter Estates. The tree, originally only 4 feet (1.2 m) tall, now covers 400 feet (120 m).
Have a great day!
-----