"Take it and run" topics are by Amy and Tom
of Runner’s Lounge.
This Week's Theme is ... Hydration.
“The brain is made up of 75% water, moderate dehydration can often cause lightheadedness, dizziness, headaches and nausea.”
Like many people I was caught up in the drink 8 glasses of water a day campaign. By the end of the day, I would have to literally force it down. Not anymore! I believe that every body is different in its requirement for water. Just as it is with calories.
I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables which naturally contain water, so I don’t require +++ glasses of water. I don’t sweat like my husband – he needs to drink more. ~ Find your balance ~
Here is a list of my Do s and Don’ts.
[WARNING - not every point is beneficial.]
- Drink half glass of tap water after brushing my teeth. (4-5x daily.)
- Bring my own water to races to sip on afterwards.
- Map out water fountains along my long run paths.
- Keep a container of fresh water in the fridge at all times.
- I don’t drink sport drinks or milk.
- I don’t drink extra water before a race - my bladder will not tolerate it!
- I don’t buy bottle water.
- I seldom drink during a race (Except during last year’s half-marathon I grabbed a cup handed to me and took a gulp before I realized it was not water but gleukos. (I ended up with sticky fingers and lips the rest of the way.)
- I don’t drink regular pop. (It can contain about 8 tsps of sugar.)
- I don’t worry about water intake during cold weather runs.
My favorite beverage -> black C O F F E E