Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27

What Do You Eat Before a Long Run

The TiaRT question this week is asked by Jill of (Jill Will Run).

“It's the morning of your weekly long run... what do you eat and why?”
I used to take in a far amount of food before my runs. This included: bananas, soy milk, toast, peanut butter and COFFEE. (I don’t drink coffee before I run anymore…)
But I found that stuffing myself before a long run had absolutely no benefit. All it made me feel was sluggish and even nauseated.
(You can live without food for awhile – but must have water!)
I now eat big after I run.


My reduced intake:
  • Handful of Puffin cereal - dry. I munch on these while I catch up on e-mails.
  • ¼ cup of almonds - dry not salted.
  • Cup of Black tea (It’s not really a food item, but has caffeine.)
  • Glass of Water as soon as I wake up and then a couple of gulps before I leave.

What does your recent pre-run menu include?
-----