Search This Blog

Saturday, October 3

Notable This Week

Downward DogActive Stretching
I am a keen supporter of stretching. I ALWAYS make time to stretch after running. So I found this video captivating.
Running Stretches with One Mile Runner
He incorporates eccentric and concentric moves using body weight as resistance. (Wish I had a private trainer...)
Theses moves felt so good - especially the plantar stretch!

ShirtMasters Need Easy Runs
I pay attention to all Masters running chatter. (Yeah, I'm old.)
Over the years I’ve seen a lot of changes. This podcast from Running Times interviews Pete Magill. A 48 yr old runner who can do a 10k: in 31:27.30 !
He emphasizes the need (for us older runners) to listen to our body. On his easy day runs, he just runs - no set pace or distance. He found his body responding to these “rest days.” Conclusion - even with these slow comfortable runs he was able to maintain his fast race times.
His training philosophy:

  • "Put away your watch; stop counting miles and start listening to the body. Our bodies will tell us more accurately how fast and far to run than a watch or training log ever can. And our bodies will warn us when we're courting disaster - injury or overtraining - long before our minds are willing to accept the premise. More importantly, when we learn to listen to our bodies, we learn how to race."
Kashi Cereal New Cereal
Tried out a new cereal – Kashi 7 Grain Nuggets. I just add a quarter cup to my usual base - Oatmeal, Cheerios or Shredded Wheat.
This is a substantial breakfast when you include raisins or my latest fad – DATES.
Half a cup of this cereal has 7 grams of protein!

Masters T-shirt
-----