Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15

Motivation Break Down

poppy in the wind
“We run when we’re scared, we run when were ecstatic, we run
away from our problems and run around for a good time.”
Christopher McDougall Born to Run:

I’ve been running for over 25 years. It keeps me sane and connected to the outside world. Until recently… I’ve lost my running self.
(See previous post – Lost – The Zen of Running)
So like any runner with trouble spots, I head out looking for some quick solutions.
I stumbled upon this Greek concept while looking up motivation.
Arete
“Its basic sense means goodness, excellence, or virtue …this notion of excellence was ultimately bound up with the notion of the fulfillment of purpose or function: the act of living up to one's full potential.”
As my race PR times began to flounder – so did my motivation. (I discover there is a connection.)
If by running I am striving for excellence – my only true opponent is myself. Why get on the track and run 400s over and over again? Why push my body and soul to the limit? Since the outcome remains fixed - I no longer run PR s but PW s.
“Motivations aren’t external but internal – things we do for our own satisfaction."
Daniel Pink

Reasons WHY I RUN that are no longer motivational:
  • For Health
  • To Compete
  • For Sanity – Well this is a Must Do indulgent – No choice.
Looks like I need to do some more research on motivation and purpose. Until then I will keep on running - albeit aimlessly.

Please share links to your favorite Motivational Post or Blog. I would love to read them.

More Ideas:
Re-Motivation: When It Just Ain’t Happening
Direction Poster
Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us
-----