Search This Blog

Monday, September 3

Yoga and Running: Remix

The ABCs and running series: Today's topic “Yoga."

"Runners who take up yoga often begin to love running even more."
- Yoga Journal
What are the benefits of practicing yoga for a runner?
Like most Master runners I have lost my elasticity. I’m ashamed to say I can no longer sit comfortably cross-legged...
This Inflexibility creeps up on you and becomes a way of life. [Injuries lurk at every corner.] We begin to adapt – survival of the fittest!

I did take a few yoga classes, many years ago, when participants wore only tights of spandex. [Not these funky outfits.] It was enjoyable – but that was in my pre-runner days.

Runners can use yoga practice to balance strength, increase range of motion, and train the body and mind.

I’m smart enough to recognize the benefits yoga but fear it may be too late for me. I especially like the focus on breathing and movement. It promotes overall relaxation, which is always a good thing.

I recommend checking out:

"The wise man lets go of all
Results, whether good or bad,
And is focused on the action alone."
- Bhagavad Gita
-----