Search This Blog

Monday, March 17

Seven Ways Runners Can Go Green

clover
I know it’s St Patrick’s Day – not Earth Day: but when you see the color green today use it as a reminder to practice something good for the environment.


Seven Ways Runners Can Go Green

  1. Recycle your old shoes. I have a system – when my runners disintegrate I use them as garden shoes. I have a hard time parting with old runners... But shoes I don’t like go directly to the thrift store.
  2. Take you own water bottle to races. Many of the races I go to now provide a large Gatorade container with fresh water – so you can refill your bottle.
  3. Don’t buy little bottles of water.
  4. Wear your running shirts – don’t leave them in the closest. When you're ready... bundle a few up and take them to the thrift store. I also cut them up and use them to polish my furniture. (PS. Before you part with your old favorites, send me a picture of them and I will memorialize them here.)
  5. Pick up just one piece of trash along your run – map out Trash bins so you don’t have to carry it with you the whole run. (I’ve been seen in the early AM. Running with a beer can in my hand.)
  6. Run/walk/bike instead of drive. Use those legs of yours!
  7. Grow something you can eat. Even if you just have a planter. Try lettuce, spinach – tomatoes!
Have a great day – try and catch a Leprechaun!
-----