Search This Blog

Monday, July 21

Banana - The Happy Fruit

I’m a few days late posting in the Gimme Food meme over at Runners Lounge, but I couldn’t resist adding my 2 cents on one of my favorite food items.

Bananas!
Banana imge wiki

Not only do they provide runners with quick energy - they fill you up! And I love them.

Banana Factoids:
  • They are 93% carbs.
  • They have 5.9 mg of calcium.
  • And 0.3 mgs of Iron.
  • An average 118gm banana has 88gms of water.
  • A cluster of bananas is called a hand.
  • Bananas are America's #1 fruit.
  • Bananas were officially introduced to the American public in 1876 at the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition. Each banana was wrapped in foil and sold for 10 cents.
  • There is banana beer.
  • The average American consumes over 28 pounds of bananas each year. I know I eat more!
  • Bananas contain tryptophan which is good for people suffering depression.
But I still don't have one of these - > Bananasaver
~
Ref - Wiki, rawplus, and corsinet.
-----