Search This Blog

Monday, March 9

How Barbie Doll Stays Fit

Happy Birthday Barbie!
50 years old and still going strong.
And we know how you stayed in such great shape.


BARBIE-DOLL-WORKOUT-CENTER-GYM-IN-BOX
(Circa 1984)
work-out barbie
She makes it look so easy!

Over the years there has been lots of controversy over Barbie’s shape.
I honestly don't remember my childhood playmate causing me any distress - except once when my brother pulled her arm off...
While I played with her, I even knitted her a turtleneck sweater, her size wasn't an issue - she was just a grown up girl, having all the fun... (Grown–up fun!)

“A standard Barbie doll is 11.5 inches tall, giving a height of 5 feet 9 inches at 1/6 scale. Barbie's vital statistics have been estimated at 36 inches (chest), 18 inches (waist) and 33 inches (hips)."
But Mattel made her bigger:
"In 1997 Barbie's body mold was redesigned and given a wider waist, with Mattel saying that this would make the doll better suited to contemporary fashion designs."

No, I'm not promoting super thinness as the best body shape – but neither is fatness.

Time to workout with Barbie!
Have a great Monday.
-----