Search This Blog

Monday, March 23

Speedwork Satisfies

trackThis year’s training session has really changed. Last year I adored the long runs! I would collect my thoughts and then settle down into some nice long escapes…
But this year I’m getting high on speedwork. (Or interval training.) I think it’s a combination of variety and the up front challenges.

Intervals consist of a series efforts followed by active or passive rest usually at a pace faster than a continuous type training run. There are four things that you can alter in an interval training session. They are distance or time, rest time or distance, effort, and the number of repetitions.”

Benefits:

  • I look forward to my run.
  • Workouts go by F A S T.
  • It keeps the boredom monkey away.
  • Your will run faster and stronger and feel a better at the end of a race.
  • It rejuvenates the body and the mind by clearing out the cobwebs.
  • If you need to lose weight – this is better than any diet. (Except fasting.)
  • And you can pretend, even if it’s just for a lap, that you’re the fastest runner in the world!
Suggestions:
  • Don’t listen to a talking podcast - stick to fast tunes! Or just listen to your own heartbeat.
  • Use your Garmin or lap counter on the old watch to keep track of the intervals. It is not fun trying to keep track on your fingers or with an abacus.
  • If you can’t get on the track - find a long, quiet neighborhood street. (Always be vigilant for cars – like ones backing out garages.)
  • Dress light. Or do what I do, and peel stuff off as you warm up. Watch your gear - I almost had my yellow cap stolen!
P.S. Some runners like to vary the distances in one session - 200m, 400m, 800m, 1200m, 800m, 400m, 200m. Interesting enough, they call it ladders.
P.S. I’ve been running for over 20 years and never tried speedwork until 3 years ago.