Search This Blog

Saturday, April 25

Really Old Pulse Monitor

1881 direct sphymograph
Apparently invented by E.J.Marey

sphymograph

No, I’m not running with that on my arm!
In fact this weekend – I will be running my race [Eugene Half-marathon] sans the Garmin. But I will be wearing a watch!

Advantages

Disadvantages
  • Have no idea how fast I'm starting. (Must start slow…)
  • Have no idea how far I’ve gone – if I miss a mile marker.
  • Won’t be able to map my memorable run in Google Earth.
  • No handy compass. Never know - might get lost along the way.
  • No one will ask me, “Just how fast are we going?”
Trivia
  • We owe the second hand on watches to physician Sir John Floyer (1649-1734), who used it to time his patients' pulse.

Above image - Wellcome Images - 2000 Years of Human Culture
-----