- it has lots of protein.
- includes plenty of minerals like Iron.
- has plenty of fiber!
- goes well with cornbread, corn chips or garlic bread.
- and (if you make enough) you can have seconds
Chunky Veggie Chili
- 1 can Kidney beans
- 1 can Black beans
- 1 tablespoon oil, Olive
- 1 Garlic clove, Minced
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrot, Sliced
- 10 Mushrooms, Quartered
- 1 Green or Red Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Zucchini, Chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon Basil, Dill, Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon Chili powder, To taste
- 1 can 28 oz Plum Tomatoes, Diced
- 1 1/2 cups V-8 Juice, Low sodium
- 1 tablespoon Tomato paste
In large pot, heat oil add onion, celery, carrots, peppers and garlic. Sauté for about 15 minutes.(Don't scorch the garlic!)
Add mushrooms and zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes.
Sprinkle in spices, stir for a few minutes.
Rinse canned beans – discard liquid. (This gets rid of the extra salt and reduces gas forming issues...)
Then stir in V-8 juice, tomatoes, beans, tomato paste and Tabasco sauce.
Simmer for at least 1 hour. The longer the better!
May use a variety of beans, and add ingredients like crumbled Veggie burgers, sausage, baked tofu, tvp, pre-cooked bulger wheat.