Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13

Runner Burnout?

lighthouse

"Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.Anne Lamott
This line reminds me of my obsession with trying so hard to be the best and then failing… Why can’t I just be happy with what I have accomplished?
My big race day creeps up and even thought I’ve trained religiously – I feel like a beginner – fatigued, heavy, downgraded. I’ve lost my spunk!
It might just be a case of runners’ burnout – but I think it’s something more ominous...

For those who still crave a challenge - I found this little tidbit in a training newsletter.

Pre’s training workout before the 1972 Olympics included:
1200m repeats at 3:12, 3:09, 3:06, and 3:00 pace. “It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement.” – Pre
-----