Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27

The Warm Up

stairs
It takes me about 20 minutes of running before my
stride, breathing and heartbeat are all in synch.
My typical pre-run perfunctory rituals include:
(On regular days – not race days.)

  • Lateral shuffle – both sides 40 feet.
  • Walking lunges while lifting arms over head.
  • Walk for about 5 minutes. (I use to walk for 10 but who has time for that?)
  • Run slow for about a mile.
After reading a few articles online about warm-up; I wonder if I’m doing enough?

ZappoMan use a Dynamic warm-up routine which includes:
Heel walking, toe walking (ouch), hurtle stepping, skipping, lunges, strides, and grapevines.(Practice this one at home before you head out on the street.)

Then there’s this British fellow – Mike on YouTube . He walks - runs around first and then stops to work on his shoulders, does some twists, and pelvis circles (I kid you not); Finishing off with squats and kicks.

I really do need to revamp my pre-run routine.

What do you guys do before a regular run?

PS. This book looks excellent!
Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster

-----