Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 13

Define Fitness

fit•ness
1. The state or condition of being fit; suitability or appropriateness.
2. Good health or physical condition, especially as the result of exercise and proper nutrition.
3. The extent to which an organism is adapted to or able to produce offspring in a particular environment.

Definitons from: American Heritage® Dictionary

I have divided it into 4 components.
fitness venn Kara

aer•o•bics
“A system of physical conditioning designed to enhance circulatory and respiratory efficiency that involves vigorous sustained exercise, such as jogging, swimming, or cycling.”
My Spin: running, biking – though it takes hills to get my HR up, swinging the kettlebell, power walking, using the stair climber or elliptical.

strength train•ing
Strength training is the use of resistance to muscular contraction to build the strength, anaerobic endurance and size of skeletal muscles.”
My Spin: gym workouts, home weights, kettlebell lifting, abdominal work, squats, (trying out some lunges.)

di.et
The usual food and drink of a person or animal.
My Spin: Vegetarian diet for over 15 years. Indulgence – chocolate!

rest
1. The refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
2. Refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
My Spin: Not allowed until all the work is done. Results -> tired most days now. This is the area I need to work on. Take a day off – OMG! I feel as guilty as a kid skipping school.
But I really must explore the reasons for this malaise. Surely, it can’t be the aging process?

What do you do - for fitness?

-----