Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22

Racing on Sand


I finally get a chance to run a race on the beach. This weekend, on Manzanita Beach, there is a 5k / 10k race entirely on the sand. An out and back with the Pacific Ocean as my running mate, the wind tossing my hair, and a forgiving surface under my feet…
Except the more I read about running on sand – the more I worry - it may not be such a good thing.

Risks of racing on the sand:

  • Extreme calf soreness.
  • Fatigue due to an increase in upper body propulsion.
  • Sore feet from bad traction.
  • Tripping over flotsam, glass, logs, or giant seaweeds!
  • Sore ankles from running on a slope.
  • There is no bounce.
  • You burn 1.6 times more calories – like I already burn 5000 cals during a regular 10K
Wish me luck – I’m going to need it!

Ref:
Running Beach Style
Sand: A Solid Foundation to Build Your Running Skills
Soft Sand Running - Video
"One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. One can collect only a few, and they are more beautiful if they are few."
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
-----