Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 21

Runners Count

Abacua wiki image
I have an abacus at the bottom of my stairs. When we first moved into this house (a two story), I wanted to know just how many times a day I went up and down the stairs.
It’s made of wood with two rows of brightly color rings. Just a child’s toy – but it provides accurate data. I love its simplicity.
When running I use a sort of mental abacus system. I count off segments of my run. These can be miles, city blocks or even minutes. (I started using this method way before Garmin.) The process chronicles my run and gives me a sense of completeness.

“I'm pleased with my life, with the journey.” Tina Turner
A small sample of what other runners count:
  1. Days till a race -> The countdown continues: Motivation for MCM, Eight Days Out
  2. Weather data –> Alone With My Thoughts
  3. Don’t forget feet -> Times My Foot Fell Asleep
  4. How many marathons -> Let’s Do This, Huh?
  5. Runners you pass in a race -> Lake Waramaug, April 27, 2003
  6. How many calories -> Running Girl’s Blog
  7. Words -> I Say Like Too Much
  8. How many beers last night -> Sweet!I Can Do This!
  9. The cadence BPM in music -> Review Cadence
  10. Running Streaks – > Joggling Streak Day 330
  11. Countdown to Disney -> Walt Disney World Marathon
What do you count? Include your links in the comments : )
"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around." Willie Nelson
-----